![]() |
| Brooklyn Bridge, NYC |
The Big Apple.
Gotham.
The City that never sleeps.
...The list goes on...
Five months ago (over New Years eve), I ventured across North America and found myself in an empire state of mind:
"One Hand in the air for the Big city,Street lights, big dreams, all looking prettyNo place in the world that can compare." Alicia Keys
My perception of New York was shaped through the likes of King Kong, Gossip Girl, Maid in Manhattan, Friends, Serendipity, Independence Day and (how can I forget) Sex in the City.
From the moment I landed at JFK til my last night on 6th Avenue, everything from the food to shopping took my breath away.
The best way to explain this journey was a love/hate relationship. My first night in New York started with my bags breaking off the baggage carousel to freezing cold rain and waiting for a taxi for 50 minutes with a phone that wouldn't work. Endless to say, it was a nightmare of a start - This combined with my lack of sleep, jetlag and culture shock on the tipping scene and no lift to take my bags up 4 flights of stairs... well and truly made me want to just pack up and leave that moment.
Despite this rough start, my next 12 days were unbelievably life changing:
| Madison Square Garden, NYC |
Shakeshak burgers, red velvet cupcakes, hot dogs, warm salted bagels, hot Starbucks holiday flavours in Central Park or even eating in Gordon Ramsey's restaurant.
It wasn't the literally shop til you drop moments;
including Saks 5th Avenue, Bloomingdales, Macy's and cannot forget Century 21 (which took close to 6 hours of my time whilst venturing through Wall Street).
including Saks 5th Avenue, Bloomingdales, Macy's and cannot forget Century 21 (which took close to 6 hours of my time whilst venturing through Wall Street).
It wasn't even the crazy sights and experiences;
| Times Square, NYC |
Although all those were amazing and possibly hold some of the best travel/food stories none of that compared to...
The moment I stopped on 7th Avenue when a tall African-american guy and Medium-height latino woman asked me for some food. Mind you, I have had homeless people ask me for money in the past before but this was different.
My heart was stirred, my eyes were wide open and a still God-whisper sounded.I turned looked at both of them and something in me, tad fearful asked "What's your story?"
This conversation ended 45 minutes later inside a fast food joint (which had amazing hot chips, but for the life of me, I can't remember the name) giving them both my testimony of Jesus' love across my life. I gave them details of Hillsong NYC (which is incredible and totally home away from home!) and was on my way as I was running late by then to meet a friend.
...The Moral: To this day, not really sure whether this couple got the help they needed or found Jesus - but I know that having someone ask and genuinely listen can be life-changing and not just for the person being asked.
New York. A city with bright lights, glamorous shopping, cars and sirens that never die down, food carts on every corner and a whirlwind culture that sucks you in. For me, "Living the dream" is a choice - despite my emotions, feelings or circumstance.
Much love,
Meenal

brilliant! loved it doll, can't wait to see what else you post :)
ReplyDeleteThanks lovely! Am getting in the swing of things and have a few ideas up my sleeve. Love that it feels like a blank page!
ReplyDelete