The finer things in life. Sunrises, Sunsets, lying on the grass on a sunny summer afternoon or even getting to train just on time to make the early train.
It has been awhile since I have had the chance to blog and since have been caught up in the rat race of juggling work commitments, tight deadlines and demanding stakeholders - but have learnt a few things:
1. Attitude is everything - The past weekend I heard one of the most profound statements I have heard in awhile during a preaching message at church " You decide what your week will look like and that any circumstances that come will not change your outlook." Tough decision - nope. Tough to keep - sure! But after 4 days of sticking to my guns and plenty of "derp" moments - my week has never been as good as it now. Life will throw every curve ball that you can imagine, but it is how we respond, being able to share the joy of the small wins and being able to have a laugh in the midst of it all that makes the difference.
"Be the change you wish to see in the world" Mahatma Gandi
2. Make time for yourself - Sometimes we have the tendency to try and do everything ourselves and to cut back on things we have control over; for instance, not eating lunch to work through it faster, sleeping less hours because we'll have more time to do what needs to be done or prioritising everyone else before ourselves to keep everyone happy. I'm not saying that there aren't seasons that we all need to do this - but at what cost. Someone wise once said to me - "You are no good to anyone else if you don't look after yourself".
So what does making time for yourself actually mean?
I guess I can only really tell you what it means for me - Quiet time with God, sleeping 6-7 hours a night, eating well, having time to go to the gym, dance and read during the week! This would be ideal but ultimately it's making sure that my energy levels are being used in the right way on the right things and never becoming so exhausted that I have nothing to give to those around and closest to me. At the end of the day - we're no good to anyone else if we're not being able to love out of the overflow, right?
"These things I have spoken to you, that my joy might remain in you and
that your joy might be full." John 15:11
3. Laughter - It is never too early or late to laugh. I eluded to this earlier, but so often everything becomes so serious and over analytic! Coming from a corporate background, sometimes the smallest things are taken way more seriously than they should but the moment there is laughter and joy it can change the whole atmosphere of a room, meeting, situation and decision. I am sure we all know those people who are ready with reservations against every idea of why it wouldn't work or that you feel like you're walking on egg shells around them and cannot put a foot wrong. Those people aren't fun to be around and more importantly are difficult to work/do life with. So why not choose to be a person that radiates light around you - after all I heard somewhere that's what we're called to do - be salt and light...
Happy Thursday!
Much love Meenal xx
No comments:
Post a Comment